Green Bay vs. New Orleans – Game 1 – Studs/Duds

Wow, the first game of the regular season is in the books, with a thrilling win over the visiting New Orleans Saints. I have made it clear, I cannot stand the Saints as I live among them, and some of their fans are like a virus out of control. Thankfully, the Packers shut them up tonight and the “Who Dat” nation will finally be quiet! There were plenty of positives and a whole bunch of negatives tonight. Lets look at a few players who light is shining bright and who’s light may be burning out!

STUD: Forget Mr. Rodgers neighborhood, this is Mr. Rodgers operating room, and Aaron Rodgers is the top surgeon in the United States. He dissected the Saints (27 of 35, 312 yards and 3 TDs) like a frog in 7th grade biology. He put the ball where he wanted all game long. His receivers got open throughout the game, but the few times there was no seperation, Rodgers squeezed the ball into tiny windows. I loved his sarcasm post-game, saying “What would have happened if we had off-season workouts? Could we have started any faster and scored more points tonight?”

DUD – Our RB by committee will be a one man race if Ryan Grant keeps running timid and Starks keeps running angry. Both guys had decent nights, but Grant played around with the ball, looking slow and scared. The screen pass in the first quarter was ridiculous, eventhough Grant made a good catch on a low pass, he had three offensive lineman looking back at him and getting ready to plow his way, and Grant slowly drifted outside the blockers and got hit by a CB after five yards. On the replay, you can see Lang and Wells blocking a CB and safety with plenty of room around them. Anyway, he better shape up soon or Starks will win this timeshare.

STUD – This stud feature has to go to our top two WRs because Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson both had excellent nights getting open and hanging on to the ball. Jennings (7 rec. for 89 yards, 1 TD) and Nelson (6 rec. for 77 yards, 1 TD) seemed wide open at times, with the Saints playing their CBs deep afraid of getting burned.

DUDCharles Woodson had a less than stellar night in coverage but his biggest goof was the upper cut he threw to David Thomas’ chin. Thomas kept shoving Woodson after the play and Woodson throws a punch immediately. It was a bone-head move for our top CB to make with any opponent, much less a high powered offense that is already slaughtering you.

STUD – Our pass rush was pretty good, except for the prevent defense they so haphazardly played in the fourth quarter, but Jarius Wynn showed me something I have not seen from him in two years. He may be starting even when Neal returns, because he showed power to compliment his speed on several plays. He stuffed short yardage runs, blew up the 4th and 1 play action pass in the second half, and also recorded one of the three sacks. Excellent game by the young DE!

DUD – I have had him as a stud throughout the pre-season, but Tim Masthay had a night to forget. He only punted four times, but out kicked his coverage on the first, giving up an untouched return for a TD. He then shanked one out of bounds which was better but not good. He did finish with a beauty at the two minute warning that Jarret Bush caught at the 1 yard line, got a knee down, but slid into the end zone giving the Saints a touchback.

STUD – Oh my goodness, Randall Cobb is a bad son of a gun! He not only caught 2 balls for 35 yards for one nifty TD, but he tied the NFL record with an unbelievable kickoff return for 108 yards. He juked the first defender at the 10, spun out of a tackle around the 25, and turned on the jets the rest of the way. I haven’t had Tourettes moment like that in a while, screaming “no you idiot” to “holy %@*&” in a span of two seconds. It was the first kickoff return in like a decade, so big things are expected from this kid.

DUD – All of the WRs played well, except for James Jones. He had one catch for one yard, and was nonexistent for the entire game. I have to believe he must still be lingering from his knee sprain, but they should have sat him out for the game then. They have to get Cobb on the field more and I think Jones is the odd man out. I think he is on the trading block after Cobb’s explosion.

STUD – Secondary tackling was a big plus, with Tramon Williams making some very nice open field tackles, and Morgan Burnett filling in on the run nicely, leading the team with 14 tackles. Before Williams got hurt, he was playing well. Burnett was one of the first guys to make contact with Ingram to stop him at the 1 yard line to finish the game. They had plenty of tackle opportunities to tackle since they let them catch everything, but pretty good fundamentals there.

DUD – LB coverage was awful, allowing 15 catches to RBs and TEs, but mostly Sproles abusing AJ Hawk for 7 catches and 75 yards. He spun Hawk around several times, and got the pass interference call in the end zone with time expiring. Walden had one nice pass breakup against Graham, but got worked over on others. I knew the Saints would get their yards passing, but 112 yards to the RBs concerns me.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Packers Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

9 Responses to “Green Bay vs. New Orleans – Game 1 – Studs/Duds”

1. ron says:

I would like to personally thanks all the great packers fans who made our first trip to lambeau field a wonderful experience. We flew in from new Orleans and even though we were saints fans we were treated like family. Everyone went out there way to welcome us and make us feel like we were at home. What true class acts you fans are. We have been to plenty road games and were never treated with such respect and hospitality. Thanks for making it a wonderful trip even though our team lost.

• Billy Needham says:

Ron, what a pleasure it is to hear about your experience! I have been up to Lambeau five seperate times and everytime blows me away at the hospitality, friendliness, etc. I am harsh on the Saints because twice, I have gone to the Superdome for Packer/Saints games and rooting for the opposing team is highly frowned upon in New Orleans. I was cussed more than I ever imagined possible. We got our butts kicked both games and fans approached me after the game boasting their win, getting in my face with my wife on my side, just really pathetic sportsmanship. I have developed a hatred for the Saints strictly because of the fans at both of those games, not the team, I respect the hell out of Brees and co. Really glad you had a good experience, never got more free beers than when I was hanging with Packer fans at Curly’s Pub or The Bar when they found out I traveled from Mississippi.

• Barbara Teel says:

Great article, Billy! Ron, I am so glad you got to have the Lambeau Experience, which always includes great fans. Like Billy, I’m a Packer fan and have made multiple trips to Lambeau for games, and I always have opposing fans come up to me and remark about the sportsmanship and warm welcome they’ve received (even Bears fans!) LOL. Also like Billy, I have traveled to several Packers/Saints games in NOLA. While I adore NOLA and its people, I have never had a good gametime experience. I’ve been screamed at in restaurants while eating dinner, cursed at on the street and in the bars, and physically threatened during the game and blocked from getting to my seat. I admire the team and think the world of Drew Brees and Coach Payton. However, the fans make it such a hostile environment that I am deeply embarrassed that the visitors are treated so poorly, especially the Wisconsin folks who travel and support the NOLA economy. I only hope that fans like YOU will be noticed by the others and that they will learn by example. Having a championship team of the Saints’ caliber could be the first step in some of the fans learning to be gracious winners, losers, and hosts. Thank you for taking the time to comment, and for being a great Saints fan!

2. Dawn says:

Agree with you on Woodson, surprised he didn’t have a good game as he is a good match for the Saints wide outs BUT even more surprised he wasn’t ejected for that upper cut punch!

• Billy Needham says:

I know he will get fined for it, I hope Goodell does not try and make an example of him and suspend him. Woodson has a good track record so maybe it will be a non-issue. If he is suspended, at least it will be against the Panthers, but I am not taking any team for granted!

3. Billy Needham says:

Thank goodness Tramon Williams’ injury is minor, just a shoulder bruise

4. John Zoul says:

…a most enjoyable game…this may well be the top offense we play all year…any updates on So’oto? Hope he is activated for next week’s game. Am breathing a sigh of relief concerning Tramon Williams…I frankly think you’re being way too rough on Woodson…as well as our punter…A win is a win is a win…and they beat the spread…

Another thought…Starks looked flashy, Ryan Grant looked tentative…I truly wonder if he’s the same back after the ankle surgery…he may not be…also, thought the defense came up big when they needed to…offensive line looked solid…T.J. lang is looking like a good move…James Jones…he needs to get healthy…it makes no sense to play him if he’s injured…Game balls to the offensive line and Rodgers…

Carolina next week…

• This will be one of the top two offenses we play, with San Diego right up there, So’oto is one of those toss ups, along with Neal. They give us positive reports all week, then Neal’s knee had swelling the day of the game, So’oto strained a bad part of the body in his back. That thing can flare up at any time, so I bet they will make sure they are %100 healthy before we see them again. The regular season is a long road, no reason to create another Justin Harrell if we can help it.
      I thought the offensive line played well, opening enough running lanes, while giving up only two sacks against a very good blitzing defense. TJ Lang held up his end of the deal first game, hopefully they will continue to grow from here. Great first game!

5. John Zoul says:

…one more thing…give a game ball as well to Randall Cobb…impressive! he is a stud hoss!